Discuss motherhood struggles in a confidential and therapeutic environment with a qualified clinical social worker.
My name is Karen O'Mara. I'm a mother of two, an experienced clinical social worker, and founder of Making Mama Village. My goal is to help mothers feel heard and supported.
With over 25 years experience working with families, I understand the issues that often face new mothers in their adjustment to motherhood.
My interventions include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Narrative Therapy, psychoeducation and engagement with other perinatal services.
I will hold you in your space. I will ensure that the discussions are gentle, kind, and supportive. The sessions are held in a non-judgmental environment.
Counselling sessions are $140 per hour and are held in Coorparoo.
~ source unknown
Here are some of the motherhood challenges I can help you with:
- Birth trauma - what actually happened and how did you feel? Was it a birth you just can't shake? Do you feel emotional when thinking of your birth or have flashbacks or bad dreams?
- Sleep deprivation
- When your baby won’t stop crying
- When your baby needs to be held ALL. DAY. LONG
- When you are not bonding or connecting with your baby
- When you think you are failing at mothering
- Dealing with criticism and judgment as a mother
- Change in identity since becoming a mother - the loss of your old life, friends, job
- Achieve housework and tasks when you have a new baby and/or toddler
- How to feel competent as a mother
- Dealing with 'mum guilt' and anger
- Postnatal depression and anxiety
- Pregnancy and infant loss
- Pregnancy after loss
- Tips for managing changes in the relationship with your partner
- Transitioning from one to two (or more) children
- Learning gentle parenting
- Separation anxiety in children
- Challenges relating to your child’s behaviour including tantrums and difficulty regulating emotions
- Managing toddler behaviours that trigger negative emotions in you